Celestron commitment to providing the best value and quality amateur telescopes continues with the CGEM-DX series computerized telescope.
Already a pioneer in the manufacture of high-quality low-cost Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes, Celestron continues to dazzle customers with its new Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain optics, nicknamed "EdgeHD", which virtually eliminates Coma abberation. Stars will appear pin-point from edge to edge.
The CGEM-DX mount delivers improved tracking, using high-quality gears, drives and bearings, permanent periodic error correction, and tracks well past the meridian (the best part of the sky).
The deluxe heavy-duty tripod coupled with the CGEM-DX mount is suitable to carry their 14" optical tube assembly. The maximum payload is 50lbs. The mount can slew the 14" telescope around at 5° per second. That translates to less waiting, and more observing.
Catadioptric telescopes boast flexible photographic options, such as prime-focus, eyepiece projection, focal reducers/field flatteners, and piggyback mounts.
Celestron is known for innovation, and they continue this tradition with the new "All-Star" polar alignment that does away with the polar finder.
- Start with a rough polar alignment
- Perform a two-star alignment and add one calibration star
- Select "Align Mount"
- Locate and centre a bright star, preferably high up near the meridian, away from the Zenith, Celestial Pole or E/W horizon
- Locate the same star in the database
- Centre the star in a reticule eyepiece, using the mounts azimuth and latitude adjustments
- Update the computer star alignment
Note: Picture shows the CGEM-DX EdgeHD 1100. We'll publish the correct picture when the picture is available.
- Legendary EdgeHD Schmidt-Cassegrain optics with built-in field flattener for coma-free views
- Flexible visual/photographic use
- Sturdy 80mm (3") dovetail bar
- Robust CGEM-DX Equatorial Mount automatically locates and tracks objects with accuracy
- Sturdy deluxe field tripod
- All-Star polar alignment for accurate setup for astrophotography and excellent goto performance
- Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC) is non-volatile for error-free tracking with no need to constantly re-record
- Aperture: 356mm (14")
- Focal Length: 3910mm (153")
- Focal Ratio: f/11
- EdgeHD Schmidt-Cassegrain design
- Starbright XLT coatings for maximum light transmission and clarity
- 23mm Plössl ocular, 2" format, 170x
- 1.25" star diagonal, upgradeable to 2"
- 9x 50mm finderscope
Mount and Tripod Specifications
- Mount Type: German Equatorial style
- Polar Finder: not required
- Analog setting circles: not required
- Dovetail Saddle: Accepts 80mm (3") Dovetail (not included)
- Steel worm gear and 90mm pitch diameter brass worm wheel
- Drive Motors - Low Cog DC Servo motor with integrated optical encoders offer smooth, quiet operation and long life at all speeds
- Internal cable wiring for trouble-free setup and transportation
- ST-4 compatible autoguider port
- Precision machined 40mm diameter steel Polar shafts supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings
- Secure power plug ensures that the Mount's power source is not accidentally disconnected
- Heavy duty stainless steel tripod
- Color: Black with Orange Accents
- Celestron two year warranty
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- Flash-upgradeable firmware
- 40,000 objects in the database including complete Messier, NGC, and IC catalogues
- 100 user-definable objects
- Expanded information on over 200 objects
- Two-line, 16-character LCD with red LED backlighting
- Buttons are red LED backlit
- All-star Polar alignment
- Alignment: Two-star + optional calibration stars, QuickAlign, 1-Star, Last Alignment, Solar System Align
- Nine Slew Speeds: 5°/sec, 2°/sec, 1°/sec, 64x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x, .5x
- NexRemote advanced telescope control software
- RS-232 serial port (can be used via USB-to-RS232 adapter, or Orion's Bluestar Bluetooth Wireless/USB adapter)
- GPS Upgradable via CN-16 Accessory
- Includes RS-232 cable
- Includes 12v car plug-in adapter
- Requires 12v DC 2A (Tip positive)
- TheSky® Planetarium software with 10,000 object database, printable sky maps and enhanced images
Weights and Dimensions
- Optical Tube Length: 787mm (31")
- Weight: 20.5kg (45lbs)
- Mount Carrying capacity 22.8kg (50lbs) (not including counterweights)
- Tripod Weight 20.4kg (45lbs)
- Mount Weight 20kg (44lbs)
- Counterweight 10kg (22lbs) x 2
- Total Weight: 80.9kg (178lbs)
- Mount Height: Unknown
- Tripod Height: Unknown
- Tripod Legs Outside Diameter: Unknown