Rental Telescope - Hesitant about buying a telescope? Not sure if astronomy is right for you? Rent this 8" Sky-Watcher Dobsonian and enjoy the best show in the universe.
Flexible rental options:
- 1 evening: $39.99
- 3 evenings: $49.99
- 7 evenings: $59.99
- 14 evenings: $89.99
- ** evenings must be taken consecutively **
$400.00 deposit required up-front, payable by credit card, interac or cash.
Rental includes a 25mm (48x) and 10mm (120x) eyepiece, a 2x Barlow lens (yielding 96x and 240x), a moon filter, four planetary filters, two different styles of finderscope, red LED flashlight, planisphere (map) and instruction manual.
If you purchase a telescope $200.00 or greater within three (3) month of returning the rental, we'll give you your rental cost back less $40.00 to cover equipment check-out costs and administration.
For example, if you rent this telescope for one week @ $59.99, we'll give you a $39.99 credit towards the purchase of a qualifying telescope.
Overcast protection: If the skies don't cooperate, we'll give you another same-duration rental period on a date that's compatible with you (subject to availability). We really want you to see cool astronomical objects, not clouds. If you decide to buy a scope instead of taking advantage of overcast protection, we'll waive 100% of the rental fee.
According to Canadian astronomy guru Terence Dickinson, the Dobsonian telescope is the closest thing to the ideal beginner's telescope (Nightwatch, 4th edition, page 69). This is due to the outstanding amount of light gathering and simplicity versus the cost.
We totally agree. If you want raw performance, it's hard to beat a Dob. Their point-and-shoot approach gives it an obvious advantage. They also boast the quickest set-up time, so you'll spend more time observing.
- Point and shoot operation
- Sturdy Dobsonian base
- Good performance
- Very short setup time
- Includes "The Beginners Guide to Using Telescopes" written by our knowledgeable staff.
- Aperture: 200mm (8")
- Focal Length: 1200mm
- Focal Ratio: f/6
- Mirror Type: Parabolic
- Focuser: 2" cast Aluminum rack & pinion focuser
- Eyepieces: 25mm (48x) and 10mm (120x)
- Barlow lens: 2x Barlow
- Filters: Moon + 4 planetary (red, blue, green, yellow)
- Finderscope: 8x50 w/ crosshair and a red-dot finder
- Mount Type: Dobsonian Altazimuth
- Tracking Motor: Not Available
- Polar Finder: Not Available
- Camera Capable:
- USB imagers
- All-in-one cameras via universal digital camera adapter
- DSLR/SLR (requires T2 ring)
- Above cameras and adapters not included with rental
- Because this instrument has no motor drives for tracking, only short exposure photography is possible
- Eyepiece height: 118cm (46.5") (when pointing to the Zenith)
- Total Weight: 16.8kg (37lbs)