Condition: Fair. Not exactly as shown.
Full disclosure: There is an optical defect of manufacture which induces a bit of a spike, or flare on brighter point sources. This appears to originate in the Schmidt corrector. It occupies an estimated 5-8% of the pupil area and is fairly smoothly varying across its area. The foucault test reveals it as a localized region extending downward and outward from the central obstruction to about 2/3 the distance to the pupil edge. It's unknown whether this is due to a surface figure error or an internal variation in the index of refraction. A rough estimate of the peak wavefront error would be about one wave. But the RMS wavefront error likely meets Meade's standard, as evidenced by their Certificate attached to the tube underside.
Because of the aforementioned manufacturing defect, low-contrast planet features and close double star observations could be impacted somewhat. And for imaging, prime focus star images do exhibit detracting short spikes.
Using the telescope for visual deep-sky observation in general should not suffer at all from this defect. Nebulae, galaxies and not-bright stars will be seen perfectly well enough. Especially the diffuse objects, for which our eyes will not be operating at full resolving power anyway. And for brighter object observation at high powers, the resolving power afforded by the 12 inches of aperture is still considerable.
For these reasons the seller is offering a quite attractive selling price. We feel that for non-critical work this telescope represents excellent value.
Enhancing appeal are the following included items:
- Meade's Zero Image Shift, motorized microfocuser
- Meade's giant field tripod
- Meade 2" mirror diagonal
- Straight-through 8X50 finder
- JMI wheeled carrying case
- 110VAC to 12 VDC power supply
Precise and quick star alignment is done near effortlessly with Meade's level north technology alignment system incorporating a 16 channel GPS receiver. The Autostar II is flash-updatable via free downloads at Meade.com (optional cable required). The drive base of the telescope has multiple input and output ports including an RS-232 PC interface and jacks for a (user supplied) CCD Autoguider and illuminated reticle.
All LX200 models feature a primary mirror locking mechanism, which effectively prevents movement of the primary mirror during long exposure astrophotography or observing. Turn the lock knob located just above the telescope's main focus knob and the progressive-tension primary lock completely cancels any residual image shift due to mirror movement during visual, photographic, or imaging applications.
All LX200 models feature the DC-servo driven super heavy duty double fork mount, the strongest and most rigid mount in its class. Fast slew speeds are from 1 to 8 degrees per second, and can be user selected at .1 degree per second increments, while fine slewing and photographic guiding speeds can be adjusted from .01x to 1x sidereal in one one-hundredth increments. The mount and all electronics are internally powered by 8 (user supplied) C-cell batteries which will typically operate the telescope for about 20 hours (optional Meade Universal AC adapter also available). The mount additionally has mechanical locks and slow motion manual controls in both axes if for some reason you found yourself without power.
The current 12" LX200 comes fully equipped with the heavy duty height adjustable Meade Giant Field Tripod, 1.25" diagonal prism, Series 4000 26mm Plössl eyepiece, 8x50 viewfinder with quick release bracket and Meade AutoStar® Suite Astronomer Edition Software for PC. Telescope and drive weight is 34kg (75 lbs), and the tripod weight is 22.7kg (50 lbs). Ships in 2 boxes.
Product carries full one year Meade factory limited warranty.
- Optical Design: Schmidt-Cassegrain
- Primary Mirror: Oversized, low-expansion borosilicate
- Aperture: 305mm (12")
- Focal Length: 3048mm (120")
- Focal ratio: f/10
- Coatings: Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC™)
- Mirror Lock: Yes
- Focusing Mechanism: Single-speed, moving primary mirror
- Finderscope: 8x50mm with cross-hair reticle
- Eyepiece: 26mm Series 4000@trade; Super Plössl
- Hand Controller: AutoStar® II
- Object Database: 145,000 objects
- Pointing Precision (High-Precision Mode): 1 arc-minute (+/-)
- Periodic Error Correction: Both Axes
- Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC): Yes
- Slow Motion Controls: Mechanical & Electronic
- Slew Speeds: RA and Dec: 0.01x to1.0x sidereal, variable in 0.01x increments; 2x, 8x, 16x, 64x, 128x sidereal; 1°/sec. to 2°/sec., variable in 0.1° increments
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Lunar, or custom-selected from 2000 incremental rates
- Control Panel: 12v DC in, 12v DC out, Power, Focuser, Reticle, Handbox port, 2x computer connection ports (RS232), 1 Aux guide port
- Tripod: Standard Field Tripod
- Power Source (Optional): 12v DC, 5 amp Meade Universal Power Supply
- Batteries (User-Supplied): 8 x C cells
- GPS Receiver: Yes
- True Level & North Sensors (LNT): Yes
- Time Chip: Yes
- Electronic Focuser: Optional
- Smart Mount™: Yes
- Smart Drive™: Yes
- Anti-vibration Pads: Optional
- Wedge: Optional