The StarGate 18" Dob - your portal to the sky.
Large diameter telescopes deliver outstanding resolution and clarity. Collapsible models are essential for portability. The StarGate 18" is very portable. The base and the optical assembly can be completely dismantled to fit into small vehicles, then easily assembled for an evening of stargazing.
As scopes grow larger, a number of concerns are introduced. Mirror weights increases, cooldown times increase, and mirror figures can be affected.
Advanced Mirror Design
The StarGate 18" employs a tapered primary mirror design with moulded sagittal supports. The thinner mirror coupled with support veins running from the edge to the centre helps reduce unwanted weight and thermal mass while maintaining the precise figure of the mirror. The secondary mirror is manufactured with cells molded in the back to reduce weight and thermal mass, while increasing the surface area to further reduce cool-down times.
The optical tube and rocker base break down to roughly 22 discrete parts. The upper cage remains as one piece holding the secondary mirror and focuser. The lower case retains the primary mirror.
A Synscan computer upgrade kit is already in the works for this model for future expansion.
- Tapered primary mirror with sagittal supports and cellular secondary mirror design to minimize weight, reduce cooldown time while maintaining figure
- Parabolic primary mirror to focus all light rays to a common focal point
- Clip-less tapered mirror design offers excellent stability and acclimatization
- Sturdy collapsible Newtonian Reflector Optical Tube Assembly
- Includes "The Beginners Guide to Using Telescopes" written by our knowledgeable staff.
- Aperture: 458mm (18")
- Focal Length: 1900mm
- Focal Ratio: f/4
- Mirror Type: Parabolic
- Focuser: 2" cast aluminum, dual speed crayford, with lock screw
- Eyepieces: 28mm (68x) LET eyepiece (2") and 10mm (190x) Plossl (1.25")
- Barlow lens: Available (sold separately)
- Finderscope: 8x50
- Mount Type: Dobsonian Altazimuth
- Tracking Motor: sold separately (Synscan goto)
- Polar Finder: Not Available
- Camera Capable:
- USB imagers
- All-in-one cameras via universal digital camera adapter
- DSLR/SLR (requires T2 ring)
- Above cameras and adapters sold separately
- Short exposures with Synscan computerized tracking system installed
- Height of eyepiece (pointed to Zenith): to be determined
- Height of optical tube and assembled base: to be determined
- Optical tube length: to be determined
- Optical tube weight: to be determined
- Ground board diameter: to be determined
- Base weight: to be determined
- Total Weight: to be determined
- Color: Black
- One year warranty