Introducing the Sky-Watcher 16" collapsible Dobsonian telescope. This marvel combines big aperture with a collapsible design that fits into mini-vans, SUV's and trucks, or a car trailer. Eclipsed only by our 18" truss tube reflector, this largest aperture scope in the Sky-Watcher collapsible fleet offers outstanding value for the level of light gathering and functionality that it provides. Deep space views are simply stunning.
This Dobsonian collapses by running up and down on three vertical bars fixed to the top section, reducing the need for collimation upon setup, which can be an issue for truss-tube Dobsonians. The base collapses into 6 wooden pieces simply by unscrewing the thumbscrews; no tools required.
As an added bonus, if the instrument is collapsed slightly, binocular viewers will come to focus and can be used without the need for a Barlow or image amplifier - a big plus for deep space binocular viewing.
The tapered primary mirror design with additional glass support ridges means the mirror is full-thickness where it counts right in the middle, and tapers off towards the edge. This design reduces the thermal mass of the mirror, and shortens thermal acclimatization. The mirror is supported at the thickest point in the middle, and no diffraction-inducing mirror clips are required.
SkyWatcher Collapsible Dobsonians feature buttery smooth azimuth bearings, which can be rotated with just the push of a finger. Like our traditional Dobsonians, the new Collapsible Dobsonians feature SkyWatcher’s patented tension adjustment control on the altitude bearings. This eliminates the need and added cost of clumsy counterweight systems to balance the telescope.
To top it off, all of the new Collapsible Dobsonians are shipping with ultra smooth Crayford focusers. An 8X50 straight through finderscope is included; a 90 degree finder is available.
- Parabolic primary mirror to focus all light rays to a common focal point
- Clip-less tapered mirror design offers excellent stability and acclimatization
- Sturdy collapsible Newtonian Reflector Optical Tube Assembly
- Tension adjustment in altitude eliminates balance weights
- 8X50 finderscope
- Includes "The Beginners Guide to Using Telescopes" written by our knowledgeable staff.
- Aperture: 406mm (16")
- Focal Length: 1800mm
- Focal Ratio: f/4.4
- Mirror Type: Parabolic, Tapered Pyrex
- Focuser: 2" cast aluminum, dual speed crayford, with lock screw
- Eyepieces: 26mm (69x) and 10mm (180x) Plossls
- Barlow lens: Available (sold separately)
- Finderscope: 8x50 straight
- Mount Type: Dobsonian Altazimuth
- Camera Capable:
- USB imagers
- All-in-one cameras via universal digital camera adapter
- DSLR/SLR (requires T2 ring)
- Above cameras and adapters sold separately
- Height of eyepiece (pointed to Zenith): 180cm (71")
- Height of optical tube and assembled base: 135cm-195cm (53"-77")
- Optical tube length: 109cm-170cm (43"-67")
- Optical tube weight: 30.5kg (67lbs)
- Ground board diameter: 84cm (33")
- Base weight: approx. 23kg (51lbs)
- Total Weight: approx. 53.5kg (118lbs)
- One year warranty