The Sky-Watcher 14" Computerized Dobsonian telescope is the second largest aperture scope in the Sky-Watcher fleet. The 14" has been coupled with the Synscan computer drive system, making this scope an outstanding value for the level of light gathering and functionality that it provides. Deep space views are simply stunning.
The computer drive system is rather clever. If you nudge a traditional computerized telescope, the computer has no clue that you moved it, and how far. Not so with this dob.
The closed-loop system incorporates motor drives and high resolution optical encoders coupled to each axis providing accurate slews, while registering all movement - even if you push the telescope out of position.
This Dobsonian collapses by running up and down on three vertical bars fixed to the top section, reducing the need for collimation upon setup, which can be an issue for truss-tube Dobsonians. The base collapses into 6 wooden pieces simply by unscrewing the thumbscrews; no tools required.
As an added bonus, if the instrument is collapsed slightly, binocular viewers will come to focus and can be used without the need for a Barlow or image amplifier - a big plus for deep space binocular viewing.
The parabolic primary mirror brings the rays of light to a common focal point, there-by correcting for spherical abberation. The tapered mirror design with additional glass support ridges means the mirror is full-thickness where it counts right in the middle, and tapers off towards the edge. This design reduces the thermal mass of the mirror, and improves acclimatization time. The mirror is supported at the thickest point in the middle, and no diffraction-inducing mirror clips are required.
Sky-Watcher computerized Dobsonians support a GPS receiver (sold separately). This plug-in module will set your time, date, longitude and latitude automatically based on the Global Positioning Satellites orbiting the Earth. You can also plug this GPS receiver into your PC's USB port to add geo location capabilities. One possible use is contributing to the Open Street Mapping project.
- Parabolic primary mirror to focus all light rays to a common focal point
- Clip-less tapered mirror design offers excellent stability and acclimatization
- Sturdy collapsible Newtonian Reflector Optical Tube Assembly
- Closed-loop drive system provides accurate automatic positioning, even when manually nudged
- GPS sensor module supported (sold separately)
- Includes "The Beginners Guide to Using Telescopes" written by our knowledgeable staff.
- Aperture: 355mm (14")
- Focal Length: 1650mm
- Focal Ratio: f/4.6
- Mirror Type: Parabolic, Tapered Pyrex
- Focuser: 2" cast aluminum, dual speed crayford, with lock screw
- Eyepieces: 25mm (66x) and 10mm (165x) Plossls
- Barlow lens: Available (sold separately)
- Finderscope: 9x50 straight
- Mount Type: Dobsonian Altazimuth
- Tracking Motor: Built-in
- Polar Finder: Not Available
- Camera Capable:
- USB imagers
- All-in-one cameras via universal digital camera adapter
- DSLR/SLR (requires T2 ring)
- Above cameras and adapters sold separately
- Because this instrument has no motor drives for tracking, only short exposure photography is possible
- Height of eyepiece (pointed to Zenith): 165cm (65")
- Height of optical tube and assembled base: 1220mm-1755mm (48"-69")
- Optical tube length: 970mm-1510mm (38"-59")
- Optical tube weight: 25kg (55lbs)
- Ground board diameter: 77cm (30")
- Base weight: 38kg (83lbs)
- Total Weight: 63kg (138lbs)
- Color: White and Metallic Black tube
- Two year limited warranty
Computer Drive Specifications
- SynScan computerized go-to system
- Over 42,000 objects in the database including complete Messier, NGC, and IC catalogues
- RS-232 port
- USB port
- Flash-upgradeable firmware
- Accuracy enhanced by software collimation error (mount mechanical error) compensation
- Optically encoded closed-loop drive system
- Servo motor drives
- 9 slewing speeds:
- 1x (0.25arc-min/sec), 2x (0.5 arc-min/sec), 8x(2 arc-min/sec)
- 16x(4 arc-min/sec), 32x (8 arc-min/sec), 200x (50 arc-min/sec)
- 400x (1.6°/sec), 600x (2.5°/sec), 800x (3.3°/sec), 1000x (4.2°/sec)
- Includes 12v car plug-in adapter
- Requires 12v DC 2A (Tip positive)