The Sky-Watcher AZ EQ6 mount is two mounts in one. It can be used as an altazimuth mount, and an equatorial mount. This design gives astronomers the best of both worlds.
The combination of altazimuth and equatorial means an astronomer can set up in the configuration which best suits their goals for the night.
Allows precise tracking of the night sky, including field rotation correction for astrophotography. The RA+/- and DEC+/- controls move the scope along the lines of right ascension and declination, which provide a more realistic movement against the night sky, as it follows the flow of movement. Polar alignment is required, which may add 2 to 20 minutes to the overall setup, depending on accuracy required.
Some astronomers prefer altazimuth mounts because they are generally simpler to operate. Their left/right, up/down controls move the scope the same way people would generally point their finger. They do not require polar alignment, which means the initial setup is shorter.
One convenience the altazimuth mode brings is the ability to mount two telescopes at the same time. One scope mounts in the traditional way, and the second can be attached to the auxiliary saddle, which securely attaches to the counterweight shaft. This mode is great when multiple scopes are required for viewing comparisons, or to enable more guests to view the same object simultaneously.
Improved Motor Drives
At the heart of the mount is the drive system, which has been newly designed, employing hybrid stepper drives, a belt-drive coupling the motor/gear assembly to the worm gear, and new motor controllers. The AZ EQ6 delivers more torque and accuracy, with a super smooth periodic error curve, low backlash, and is silent when slewing.
Closed-loop Servo System
Many computerized mounts on the market literally get lost when the mount gets pushed around. This is because encoders are not used to provide feedback to the computer.
The Sky-Watcher AZ EQ6 employs encoders on both axis, so the astronomer can manually push the scope to new locations, with no impact to tracking, or goto positional accuracy. Astronomers now have total freedom over the mount, and convenience.
Greater Payload Capacity
Following in the footsteps of the NEQ6 Pro, the AZ EQ6 is able to carry 20kg (44lbs), which is 2kg (4lbs) more than the NEQ6. With the slightly higher payload capacity, the AZ EQ6 is the highest-capacity mount available presently from Sky-Watcher that can handle a wide variety of telescope optical tubes. Strong enough to handle 280mm (11") optical tubes.
"Pro" features make this great for astrophotography, such as an ST4 compatible autoguider port, permanent periodic error correction, polar finder, micro-step controller and hybrid stepper drives will drive you and your imaging to new heights of accuracy.
Global Positioning System - GPS
These mounts include a GPS sensor module to automatically set your time, date, longitude and latitude based on the Global Positioning Satellites orbiting the Earth.
You can also plug this GPS receiver into your PC's USB port to add geo location capabilities. One possible use is contributing to the Open Street Mapping project.
The AZ EQ6 mount features two dual-fit saddles, which accepts both narrow and wide dovetails. This means you don't need to swap dovetails, or add expensive saddle adapters to connect various telescopes.
The Synscan computer can be controlled and upgraded through its built-in RS-232 serial port. The GPS receiver is packaged with a USB to RS-232 adapter and the necessary cabling to connect the hand control (or the GPS) via USB port.
- Can be configured as an altazimuth or equatorial mount
- Easily mount two scopes simultaneously
- Two dual-fit saddles accepts either 44mm (1.75") dovetail bars compatible with Vixen, Sky-Watcher, Celestron, Orion, Losmandy and more
- Automatically find and track objects with accuracy thanks to an improved drive system
- GPS sensor module included
- Includes USB-to-Serial adapter w/ cable for controlling Synscan over USB (included w/ GPS)
- Mount Type: German Equatorial style
- Polar Finder: Included, Northern/Southern
- Analog setting circles
- Heavy duty stainless steel tripod
- Latitude adjustment range: 10° to 70°, 90°
- Color: White
- One year warranty
Computer Drive Specifications
- SynScan computerized go-to system
- Over 42,000 objects in the database including complete Messier, NGC, and IC catalogues
- RS-232 port, can be used with USB-to-RS232 adapter (included), or Orion's Starseek wifi wireless adapter(sold separately)
- Flash-upgradeable firmware
- GPS module included
- ST4 compatible autoguider port
- DSLR shutter release port
- Permanent periodic error correction (PPEC) in equatorial mode
- PPEC can be trained by autoguider or PC
- Positioning accuracy up to 1 arc minute *guestimated*
- Driving resolution: Approximately 0.14 arc seconds
- Accuracy enhanced by software collimation error (mount mechanical error) compensation
- Brushless stepper motors, 1.8° step angle, 64 micro steps, 12,800 microsteps for one full drive shaft rotation *guestimated*
- Slewing speed up to 3.4°/sec (800X)
- Guiding speed selectable from 0.25X, 0.50X, 0.75X, or 1X
- Includes 12v car plug-in adapter
- Requires 12v DC 4A (tip positive)
- Receiver Type: 12 parallel channel, L1 C/A code
- Accuracy: Position 5m CEP, Velocity 0.1m/sec
- Startup Time: < 10sec hot start, < 35sec warm start, < 50sec cold start
- Reacquisition: 1sec
- Sensitivity: -140dBm acquisition, -150dBm tracking
- Update Rate: 1Hz
- Dynamics: 4G(39.2m/sec2)
- Operational Limits: Altitude < 18,000m or velocity < 515m/sec
- Serial Interface: RS-232 level
- Protocol #1 NMEA-0183 V3.01 4800 bps, 8, N, 1(Default)
- Protocol #2 SynScan Position, Velocity & Time II Binary Message.
- Input Voltage: 3.8V ~ 8.0V
- Current Consumption: < 100mW
- Dual mode for using with both SynScan GOTO system and personal computer
- USB adapter cable included for connecting to a personal computer
- Compatible with NMEA compliant road map software
- Build-in magnet to adhere to iron metal surface
Mount & Tripod Weights and Dimensions
- Carrying capacity 20kg (44lbs) (not including counterweights)
- Tripod Weight 7.5kg (16.5lbs)
- Mount Weight 15.4kg (34lbs)
- Counterweights 2 x 5.1kg (11lbs) = 10.2kg (22lbs)
- Total Weight: 33.1kg (72.5lbs)
- Mount Height 41cm (16")
- Tripod Height 85-147cm (33.5-57.8")
- Tripod Legs Outside Diameter 50mm (2") and 38mm (1.5")