The MallinCam StarVision CCD camera is an excellent camera for both deep sky photography, and for live-view-observing. The Sony ICX825 CCD sensor used is incredibly sensitive with virtually no noise. The thermal current is so low that this camera can get a way with not using a power-hungry cooler.
Besides using an incredibly low noise sensor, the MallinCam StarVision camera has several other features to minimize noise. It uses a 24kt gold plated main board to provide the best in electrical contact integrity. Isolating the sensor to its own board reduces electrical interference, leading to lower noise.
A monochrome sensor maximizes sensitivity by not rejecting any visible light from any pixel. This camera is great for narrowband photography, an effective way of eliminating light pollution. Resolution is also maximized by removing the need to interpolate colours as is the case with a one-shot-colour camera.
A 1.4 MP sensor provides adequate resolution for high-quality deep sky photography, as well as the frame-rates required for live-view observing. An internal frame buffer ensures the image transferred is free from errors.
The USB2.0 connection makes controlling the camera and transferring the images very flexible. The high quality digital images can be rapidly transferred to a laptop for processing into a high-quality astroimage or for live-viewing.
This camera is fantastic for deep-sky imagers and for live-viewers alike. The extremely high sensitivity coupled with the lack of noise makes this camera a delight to work with.
- Well suited for both imaging and live-viewing
- 24kt gold-plated main board to minimize noise
- No other electronics on the sensor PCB minimizes noise-inducing electrical interference
- Sealed CCD chamber - reduces dewing
- Professional grade USB2.0 locking terminal
- Internal frame buffer for reliable error-free data transmission
- Aluminium and stainless steel CNC construction
- Adjusted gain from 2.00x to 100.00x
- Adjustable gamma, contrast, black level, sharpness
- Internal digital signal processing to reduce noise
- Sony ICX825 ExView HAD II Monochrome CCD Sensor
- Resolution: 1392 x 1040 (1.4 MP)
- Pixel size: 6.45 x 6.45µm
- Diagonal: 11mm (0.43")
- Type: 2/3
- Full well capacity: ~18 000e-
- Max exposure: 1 hour
- Sensitivity: 2000 mV, QE Max: ~75%
- Amp-glow: none
- Dimensions: 5.1 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm (2 x 2 x 1.5")
- Weight: 192 g (6.80 oz)
- StarVision Monochrome CCD Camera
- 15' USB2.0 professional grade cable with locking connection
- C-mount to 1.25" threaded adapter
- StarVision software