The SBIG STF-8300M monochrome camera represents quality that is accessible to amateur astronomers. Built around the massive KAF-8300 sensor, mosaics are not a necessity.
The KAF-8300 features antiblooming to eliminate the blooming artifacts other sensors face when imaging bright stars. It also features microlens technology to improve quantum efficiency. High quality electronics also keep read noise under 10 electrons RMS, dark current to be a small fraction of an electron (as low as 0.01 electrons) and linearity under 1%.
With a built-in voltage regulator this camera can be used directly with a battery in the field, or with an AC power source using the included universal power supply. The SBIG STF-8300 is also well suited for remote setups, being interfaced by a USB2.0 cable.
The camera uses a specially designed mechanical shutter that ensures even illumination across the sensor during short exposures. This makes taking flats simple since the shutter won't introduce unwanted artifacts. This shutter also simplifies taking darks.
Using an internal full frame image buffer, and a high speed low noise readout, this camera is capable of transmitting a full frame image in less than a second. This makes framing and focusing much more efficient as well as eliminating wasteful pauses as images are downloaded.
The SBIG STF-8300M is compatible with both the FW5-8300 and FW8-8300 filter wheels. These are either sold separately, or packaged with the camera at a discount. These filter wheels integrate right onto the camera and are interfaced/powered through a single I2C port on the camera.
The camera can also be used with the OAG-8300 off axis guider which integrates with the camera to minimize the impact on backfocus. This accessory is available separately, or bundled with the camera at a discount.
- Even-illumination shutter
- Single-stage TE cooling
- User rechargeable desiccant plug
- User selectable internal noise reduction
- Compatible with FW5-8300 and FW8-8300 filter wheels
- Compatible with the OAG-8300 off-axis guider
- Built-in DC voltage regulator
- Able to be used with Canon and Nikon lenses
- Sensor: Kodak KAF-8300M (monochrome)
- Pixel Array: 3326 x 2504
- Sensor Size: 17.96 x 13.52mm
- Pixel Size: 5.4 x 5.4 microns
- Total Pixels: 8.3 million
- Quantum Efficiency: 56% Peak, ~48% Ha
- Full Well Capacity: 25 000 electrons
- Read Noise: ~9.3 electron RMS
- Antiblooming: 1000x antiblooming
- Cooling Delta: -40°C ± 0.1°C with air
- Full Frame Download: <1 second
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0
- Computer OS: Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux 32/64-bit
- Power: 12V DC, 3A Max (Includes Universal AC Adapter)
- Mounting: T-Thread, 2" Nosepiece
- Backfocus: 17.5mm
- Dimensions: 50 x 100 x 127mm
- Weight: 0.8kg
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labour on sensor, 2 years on body
- Hard carrying case with pre-cut foam
- Rack handles for camera
- 4.6m (15') USB 2.0 cable
- Universal 100-240VAC 6A power supply
- CCDOPS camera control software