The SBIG STF-8300C colour camera represents quality that is accessible to amateur astronomers. Built around the massive KAF-8300 sensor, mosaics are not a necessity. Coupled with a one-shot colour sensor, this camera is great for getting large, colour images with minimal effort.
The KAF-8300 features antiblooming to eliminate the blooming artifacts other sensors face when imaging bright stars. It also features microlens technology to improve quantum efficiency. High quality electronics also keep read noise under 10 electrons RMS, dark current to be a small fraction of an electron (as low as 0.01 electrons) and linearity under 1%.
With a built-in voltage regulator this camera can be used directly with a battery in the field, or with an AC power source using the included universal power supply. The SBIG STF-8300 is also well suited for remote setups, being interfaced by a USB2.0 cable.
The camera uses a specially designed mechanical shutter that ensures even illumination across the sensor during short exposures. This makes taking flats simple since the shutter won't introduce unwanted artifacts. This shutter also simplifies taking darks.
Using an internal full frame image buffer, and a high speed low noise readout, this camera is capable of transmitting a full frame image in less than a second. This makes framing and focusing much more efficient as well as eliminating wasteful pauses as images are downloaded.
The camera can also be used with the OAG-8300 off axis guider which integrates with the camera to minimize the impact on backfocus. There is a separate discounted package for the camera and off-axis guider if you wish to buy them together. A spacer is also available separately that takes the place of the filter wheel to achieve the correct spacing.
- Even-illumination shutter
- Single-stage TE cooling
- User rechargeable desiccant plug
- User selectable internal noise reduction
- Compatible with the OAG-8300 off-axis guider
- Built-in DC voltage regulator
- Able to be used with Canon and Nikon lenses
- Sensor: Kodak KAF-8300C (colour)
- Pixel Array: 3326 x 2504
- Sensor Size: 17.96 x 13.52mm
- Pixel Size: 5.4 x 5.4 microns
- Total Pixels: 8.3 million
- Quantum Efficiency: 56% Peak, ~48% Ha
- Full Well Capacity: 25 000 electrons
- Read Noise: ~9.3 electron RMS
- Antiblooming: 1000x antiblooming
- Cooling Delta: -40°C ± 0.1°C with air
- Full Frame Download: <1 second
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0
- Computer OS: Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux 32/64-bit
- Power: 12V DC, 3A Max (Includes Universal AC Adapter)
- Mounting: T-Thread, 2" Nosepiece
- Backfocus: 17.5mm
- Dimensions: 50 x 100 x 127mm
- Weight: 0.8kg
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labour on sensor, 2 years on body
- Hard carrying case with pre-cut foam
- Rack handles for camera
- 4.6m (15') USB 2.0 cable
- Universal 100-240VAC 6A power supply
- CCDOPS camera control software
Note: Picture shown is the STF-8300c with optional ST-G guide camera and filter wheel.