Power in the field is an important concern for modern astronomers. Whether it be powering goto scopes, CCD imaging equipment, or dew-heaters, having a good and reliable battery is essential.
Conventional lead-acid batteries are heavy, require comprehensive care to prevent damage, have a short life of up-to 5 years, and contain toxic metals. Celestron's new Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFE) battery solves these problems. This battery can be deeply discharged without damage, can be left on a shelf without damage, and does not suffer from memory effects when charging. LFE batteries have a considerably longer service life up-to 10 years, while providing superior reliability and excellent efficiency.
This battery has a capacity of 86.4 Watt-hours, equivalent to 7.2 Ah at 12 V. This means the battery can supply a 12 V device 1 A for 7.2 hours. It is important to note that this is effectively more capacity than a 7.2 Ah lead-acid battery because the lead-acid battery must not be discharged below half its capacity to prevent damage.
All required accessories are included. A 100-240 V universal AC charger is included that can recharge the battery from flat in only 3 hours. A 2.1 mm tip-positive power cord is also included, capable of powering mounts and cameras alike.
The Celestron Lithium Phosphate battery is designed to integrate well onto a telescope mount. It is small enough to be attached to the leg of a steel tripod, and light enough to hang from the accessory tray. Straps are included for both of these methods.
- Lithium Phosphate technology for durability, and safety
- 2000 charge cycles, versus 500 for lithium ion and 300 for lead-acid
- Un-recharged shelf life of 10 years
- Does not have fire danger of lithium ion batteries
- Environmentally friendly, no toxic heavy metals
- Built-in LED light
- Capacity: 86.4 Wh (7.2 Ah @ 12 V)
- Output: 12 VDC @ 3 A (2.1 mm tip-positive)
- Output: 2 x 5 VDC USB @ 1 A and 2.1 A
- Charging: 16 VDC @ 2 A (mains charger included)
- Charge Time: 3 hours from flat
- Waterproof: Protected against a low pressure jet
- Dustproof: Sealed container, dustproof
- Dimensions: 19.1 cm tall x 7.6 cm diameter (7.5 x 3 in)
- Weight: 1.0 kg (2.25 lbs)