50kg (110 lbs) Payload
All-metal precision internal construction makes this mount strong and stable. The EQ8-R is a perfect fit for even the largest OTAs Sky-Watcher has to offer.
Belt Drive On Both Axes
Belt drives provide minimal backlash and significantly reduced periodic error, which mean smoother, more accurate tracking.
Integrated Cable Management System
Built-in USB 3.0, power, and serial ports eliminate cable drag and reduces the worry of cable snags.
Building on the legacy of Sky-Watcher’s popular EQ8 mount, the EQ8-R introduces a variety of upgrades and enhancements that make observatory-class astrophotography easier than ever. Whisper-quiet dual belt drives greatly reduce Periodic Error while providing enhanced tracking and guiding. The fully realized cable management system eliminates cable drag and makes remote set-ups ridiculously convenient.
The EQ8 High Precision EQ-R mount is pier tripod based. It comes with a SynScan hand controller, 2x10kg counterweights, with a payload of 50kg. The patented Freedom Find™ (dual-encoder) technology allows the telescope to be moved manually whenever the user wishes - but with no need for re-alignment!
The EQ8-R mount is equipped with auxiliary encoders on both the R.A. axis and Dec. axis. Therefore, the mount can keep tracking its current position even when a user unlocks the clutches and rotates the mount in R.A. axis and Dec. axis by hand. With this Freedom Find™ feature, a user can manually operate the mount anytime without worrying about losing the mount’s alignment status. When the user wants to operate the mount with the SynScan hand control again, no alignment is required and all that is needed to be done is to re-lock the clutches. This feature can be enabled or disabled on the SynScan hand controller.
The EQ8-R mount is equipped with an index on its R.A. worm. Therefore the motor controller can keep tracking the current position of the worm. After a proper PEC training routine, in which the training data is stored in the motor controller permanently, a user can start the periodic error correction (PEC) at any time to improve the tracking performance for short focal length astrophotography. A training process is not required in the next observing session (assuming that the polar alignment is always accurate), thus this is a Permanent Period Error Correction (PPEC). A user can train the mount with manual guiding or auto-guiding. For detailed instructions please refer to the SynScan hand controller manual.
The EQ8-R mount is equipped with a SNAP port which can control the shutter release of a camera. Working with the SynScan hand control’s “Camera Control” function, a user can take batch exposures when doing astrophotography. Up to 8 groups of “Exposure-time & Frames” combinations can be set on the SynScan hand controller. For detailed information, refer to the SynScan hand controller manual.
The EQ8-R mount is equipped with two home position sensors. Working with the SynScan hand controller, the mount can be placed to the same home position after turning on the power. For detailed information, refer to the SynScan hand controller manual.
- 50kg (110 lbs) payload capacity
- Belt drives on both axes
- Non-volatile Permanent Periodic Error Correction - survives power cycles
- Super Smooth PE Curve
- Freedom Find™ move the telescope manually without misaligning the computer
- Low backlash drive
- Auto-Home returns the scope to the home position
- Whisper quiet slews
- DSLR Interface
- Adjustable Pier tripod; 0.75m to 1.0m (29.5" to 40")
- SynScan computerized go-to system
- Over 42,000 objects in the database including complete Messier, NGC, and IC catalogues
- RS-232 port
- USB port
- Flash-upgradeable firmware
- GPS module supported (sold separately)
- ST4 compatible autoguider port
- Drive system: Belt
- Permanent periodic error correction (PPEC), 100 segments
- Maximum slew rate: 3.3° per second
- Motor drive: 0.9° step angle hybrid stepper drive w/ 64 microsteps
- Pointing accuracy: up to 5 arc-minutes (RMS)
- Resolution: 11,136,000 counts/revolution, approx. 0.12 arc-second
- Tracking rates: sidereal, lunar, solar
- Autoguiding rates: 0.125x, 0.25x, 0.5x, 0.75x, 1x
- Power requirements: 11 to 16v, 4A
- Counterweights: 2 x 10kg (2 x 22lbs) CGE-style
- Latitude adjustment range: 10° to 65°
- Azimuth adjustment range: ±10°
- Payload capacity: 50kg (110lbs)
- Mount weight: 25kg (55lbs)
- Counterweight rod weight: 2.6kg (5.7lbs)
- Pier tripod weight: 29.4kg (64.7lbs)
- Height: TBD
- Color: Black
- Includes aluminum case
- One year warranty