Yes, you read that right - a 10" Computerized Dobsonian telescope that collapses, and it's manageable. Sky-Watcher has coupled their well-built Dobsonians with an advanced Synscan computer drive system, making this scope an outstanding value for the level of light gathering and functionality that it provides. Deep space views are simply stunning.
The computer drive system is rather clever. If you nudge a traditional computerized telescope, the computer has no clue that you moved it, and how far. Not so with this dob.
The closed-loop system incorporates motor drives and high resolution optical encoders coupled to each axis providing accurate slews, while registering all movement - even if you push the telescope out of position.
This Dobsonian collapses by running up and down on three vertical bars fixed to the top section, reducing the need for collimation upon setup, which can be an issue for truss-tube Dobsonians.
As an added bonus, if the instrument is collapsed slightly, binocular viewers will come to focus and can be used without the need for a Barlow or image amplifier - a big plus for deep space binocular viewing.
Sky-Watcher computerized Dobsonians come with a GPS receiver. This plug-in module will set your time, date, longitude and latitude automatically based on the Global Positioning Satellites orbiting the Earth.
You can also plug this GPS receiver into your PC's USB port to add geo location capabilities. One possible use is contributing to the Open Street Mapping project.
- Parabolic primary mirror to focus all light rays to a common focal point
- Sturdy collapsible Newtonian Reflector Optical Tube Assembly
- Closed-loop drive system provides accurate automatic positioning, even when manually nudged
- GPS sensor module included
- Includes USB-to-Serial adapter w/ cable for controlling Synscan over USB (included w/ GPS)
- Includes "The Beginners Guide to Using Telescopes" written by our knowledgeable staff.
- Aperture: 254mm (10")
- Focal Length: 1200mm
- Focal Ratio: f/4.7
- Mirror Type: Parabolic
- Focuser: 2" cast aluminum, single speed crayford, with lock screw
- Eyepieces: 25mm (48x) and 10mm (120x) Plossls
- Barlow lens: Available (sold separately)
- Finderscope: 8x50 straight
- Mount Type: Dobsonian Altazimuth
- Tracking Motor: Built-in
- Polar Finder: Not Available
- Camera Capable:
- USB imagers
- All-in-one cameras via universal digital camera adapter
- DSLR/SLR (requires T2 ring)
- Above cameras and adapters sold separately
- Because this instrument has no motor drives for tracking, only short exposure photography is possible
- Height of eyepiece (pointed to Zenith): 126cm (49.6")
- Total Weight: 33kg (72.6lbs)
- Color: White and Metallic Black tube
- One year warranty
Computer Drive Specifications
- SynScan computerized go-to system
- Over 42,000 objects in the database including complete Messier, NGC, and IC catalogues
- RS-232 port (can be used via USB-to-RS232 adapter, or Orion's Bluestar Bluetooth Wireless/USB adapter)
- Flash-upgradeable firmware
- Accuracy enhanced by software collimation error (mount mechanical error) compensation
- Optically encoded closed-loop drive system
- Servo motor drives
- 9 slewing speeds:
- 1x (0.25arc-min/sec), 2x (0.5 arc-min/sec), 8x(2 arc-min/sec)
- 16x(4 arc-min/sec), 32x (8 arc-min/sec), 200x (50 arc-min/sec)
- 400x (1.6°/sec), 600x (2.5°/sec), 800x (3.3°/sec), 1000x (4.2°/sec)
- Includes 12v car plug-in adapter
- Requires 12v DC 2A (Tip positive)
- Receiver Type: 12 parallel channel, L1 C/A code
- Accuracy: Position 5m CEP, Velocity 0.1m/sec
- Startup Time: < 10sec hot start, < 35sec warm start, < 50sec cold start
- Reacquisition: 1sec
- Sensitivity: -140dBm acquisition, -150dBm tracking
- Update Rate: 1Hz
- Dynamics: 4G(39.2m/sec2)
- Operational Limits: Altitude < 18,000m or velocity < 515m/sec
- Serial Interface: RS-232 level
- Protocol #1 NMEA-0183 V3.01 4800 bps, 8, N, 1(Default)
- Protocol #2 SynScan Position, Velocity & Time II Binary Message.
- Input Voltage: 3.8V ~ 8.0V
- Current Consumption: < 100mW
- Dual mode for using with both SynScan GOTO system and personal computer
- USB adapter cable included for connecting to a personal computer
- Compatible with NMEA compliant road map software
- Build-in magnet to adhere to iron metal surface