The patented Meade Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) optical design offers the coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter image fields greatly desired by discerning amateur astronomers, astrophotographers and professional observatories alike. This system also reduces the astigmatism and eliminates the diffraction spikes found in classical Ritchey-Chrétien designs.
The 12" LX90 has a 12” diameter f/10 ACF optical system (focal length 3054mm) and Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) for maximum image brightness and contrast. Electronics include the advanced Meade AudioStar™ computer system with over 30,000 object library, multiple guided tours, High Precision Pointing capability, and Meade SmartDrive™ with Permanent Periodic Error Correction.
Precise and quick star alignment is done near effortlessly with an incorporated 16 channel genuine Sony GPS receiver. The AudioStar™ is flash-updatable via free downloads at Meade.com (optional cable required). The Audiostar technology made its first appearance in the Lightswitch series telescopes. This exciting technology delivers all the astronomical knowledge and experience of a professional astronomer.
All LX90 models feature the solid and stable LX90 aluminum double fork mount, with fast slew speed adjustable from 1 to 7 degrees per second. Fine slewing and photographic guiding speeds can be adjusted from .01x to 1x sidereal in one one-hundredth increments. The mount and all electronics are internally powered by 8 (user supplied) C-cell batteries which will typically operate the telescope for a generous 60 hours (optional Meade Universal AC adapter also available). The mount also has mechanical locks in both axis allowing adjustment even without power.
The LX90 comes fully equipped with a heavy duty height adjustable Meade Field Tripod, 1.25" diagonal prism, Series 4000 26mm 5-Element Plössl eyepiece, and Meade AutoStar® Suite Astronomer Edition Software for PC and an 8x50 optical viewfinder with quick release bracket. Scope weight is 27.2kg (60 lbs) with 8.6kg (19 lbs) tripod. Ships in 2 boxes.
Product carries full one year Meade factory limited warranty.
- Optical Design: Advanced Coma-Free
- Primary Mirror: Oversized, low-expansion borosilicate
- Aperture: 305mm (12")
- Focal Length: 3054mm (120")
- Focal ratio: f/10
- Coatings: Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC™)
- Focusing Mechanism: Single-speed, moving primary mirror
- Finderscope: 8x50mm with cross-hair reticle
- Eyepiece: 26mm Series 4000@trade; Super Plössl
- Hand Controller: AudioStar™ II
- Object Database: 30,000 objects
- Pointing Precision (High-Precision Mode): 1.5 arc-minute (+/-)
- Periodic Error Correction: Polar mode only (RA)
- Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC): Yes
- Slow Motion Controls: Electronic
- Slew Speeds: RA and Dec:1x, 2x, 8x, 16x, 64x, 128x sidereal and 1.5°/sec., 3°/sec., 6.5°/sec.
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Lunar, or custom-selected from 2000 incremental rates
- Control Panel: 12v Power port, On/Off Switch, Handbox port, 2x Aux ports
- Tripod: Standard Field Tripod
- Power Source (Optional): 12v DC, 5 amp Meade Universal Power Supply
- Batteries (User-Supplied): 8 x C cells
- GPS Receiver: Yes
- Electronic Focuser: Optional
- Astronomer Inside™: Yes
- Smart Drive™: Yes
- Anti-vibration Pads: Optional
- Wedge: Optional
- Knows the sky so you don't have to
- Controls the telescope to find and track over 30,000 celestial objects automatically
- Takes you on a guided tour of best objects from your location and time
- Plays audio descriptions of best objects so you learn the details of what you're seeing
- Over 4 hours of audio descriptions that bring astronomy to life
The LX90 series telescopes now ship with the #07509 APM dongle, which provides an ST-4 compatible guide port to the telescope. The APM dongle plugs into the AUX port on the telescope. This dongle is compatible only with telescopes equipped with the Audiostar computerized hand controller.