Baader Planetarium's 68° Hyperion modular eyepieces offer world-class performance with unique photo-visual features, at unheard of prices. Their quality and feature specifications earned them Sky and Telescope's Hot Astronomy Product distinction for 2008.
The newly redesigned Hyperion eyepieces deliver better transmission, contrast, with superb on and off-axis sharpness and color fidelity across their 68° wide flat-field of view, even in fast telescopes.
Baader engineered these eyepieces with careful opto-mechanical design and optimized internal baffling to eliminate stray light and ghost reflections. The pitch black interior shows no distracting and contrast-robbing glints of light from unbaffled lens or metal surfaces.
Hyperion viewing is notably comfortable and relaxing, thanks to their forgiving eye position, 20mm of eye-relief, extra-large eye lens, and an optical design that is free of annoying kidney-beaning and blackouts.
The proprietary Hyperion Phantom Group™ advanced multi-coatings are designed by German coating engineers, optimized for each of the glasses used, and applied by the finest German coating machines. The result are coatings that truly rival the best. The difference is clearly visible - users report that the Hyperions clearly show fainter stars and darker sky than competitive clones.
Built-in support for 1.25" and 2" focusers, and compatibility with binoviewers. The 1.25" barrel is threaded for filters. The short barrels work well with spotting scopes. Baader's new housing incorporates a full-length 2" barrel (0.94" long) and provides a specially designed tapered locking recess. The Hyperion field stop locations have been optimally re-designed to give the shortest focus position possible (important for binoviewers).
Hyperion eyepieces are at the top with the very best eyepieces for use with binoviewers. Compared to some wide field eyepieces developed especially for binoviewing, Hyperions eyepieces were found to be superior in every aspect: comfort, eye relief, more nose-room, better coatings, better contrast, wider field, and half the cost. The favorite wide field bino eyepieces are the 8/13/17/21/24mm Hyperion. The new 24mm Hyperion works superbly in binoviewers, and delivers the widest true field of any 24mm wide field eyepiece.
Tele Vue DIOPTRX™ Astigmatism Correcting Lenses compatible, providing the full range of correction from ¼ to 3½ diopters. No longer wear eyeglasses to see pinpoint stars. The long 20mm eye relief works particularly well with astigmatism corrector lenses, without forcing the observer to press their eye close to the lens in order to see the entire wide field.
The removable negative lens element permits variable focal lengths using Baader's finetune rings. NOTE: The 24mm Hyperion is a different optical design and does not permit the use of Finetuning Rings to decrease focal length.
Hyperion eyepieces incorporate many unique and innovative features which are designed to make them the ideal projection eyepiece.
- Outstanding sharpness and color correction over a 68° wide apparent field (65° for the 21mm)
- 20mm eye-relief, large eye lens, and a pupil free of the kidney-beaning and blackouts common in many wide field eyepieces
- High grade water-white glasses used throughout for crystal clear views, low scatter and excellent color fidelity
- Use of high-index glasses delivers low distortion and astigmatism on scopes as fast as f/4
- Phantom™ multicoating group for superior light transmission
- Fits virtually every telescope
- Modular design
- Soft fold-over eyecup
- Includes soft leather carry pouch
- Extremely sharp wide-field optical design highly suitable for projection photography, compatible with large chip CCD and DSLRs
- Eye lens barrels provide two different external threads, M43 and M54 (covered by removable rubber)
- Adapter ring system enables cameras to be directly close-coupled for afocal projection, or variably extended for classical eyepiece projection imaging with Baader T-adapter and extension tubes
- Series of 16 threaded rings provide compatibility with virtually every digital (CCD/DSLR) and video camera
- Focal length: 10mm
- Apparent field: 68°
- 8 elements in 5 groups
- Phantom fully multicoated
- 1.25" and 2" interfaces
- Accepts 1.25" and 2" standard eyepiece filters
- Adapter threads: M43mm and M54mm (requires additional adapter, sold separately)
- Binoviewer compatible: Yes
- Tele Vue DIOPTRX™ compatible: Yes
- Length: 11cm (4.3")
- Weight: 370g (13oz)
- Engineered in Germany, made in China