The LS60T/PT visual solar telescope is a fully integrated, 100% safe, dedicated Solar Telescope.
As the Sun enters Solar Maximum over the next few years, the excitement of viewing our Star thru a dedicated Solar telescope is sure to provide many many hours of visual enjoyment and educational insights.
Traditional broadband white light solar filters let the observer view sun spots and some granulation, but flares, filaments, prominences, plages, and more remain elusive. This is because these broad filters provide too much bandwidth. In order to see the more exquisite features, the bandwidth needs to be a lot more narrow.
Dedicated Hydrogen Alpha (Hα) solar telescopes provide the necessary narrow bandwidth, .1nm (1 Angstrom) or less, in order to observe the various features of the sun. Solar disc features show incredible contrast, and you feel like you are really getting to know the sun.
The tuning mechanism allows you to observe features which are doppler shifted slightly towards the blue or red wing of the Hydrogen Alpha line. The fine tuning mechanism works by compressing the air around the etalon filters to adjust the refractive index, while keeping the filter's optical plane 90° to the axis of the incoming light. This provides much more even filtering across the field of view, and does not produce a sweet spot, unlike tilt-style tuners.
This scope is optimized for visual solar observations. Photography is possible, but the smaller B600 blocking filter will reduce the amount of solar disc visible in some cameras like DSLR's. This is due to the camera's backfocus requirements. The blocking filter would end up being too close to the objective lens, causing a vignette of the field. To avoid this, we recommend the Lunt 60mm Photo/Visual solar telescope with the larger B1200 blocking filter to capture the whole solar disc.
The 60mm solar telescope is fully upgradeable at anytime without ever needing to go back to the factory. As the Sun becomes more increasingly more active, you will appreciate that the instrument can grow right along with it.
This telescope provides the basic essentials perfect for a first time introduction to Daytime Solar Observing, while also including the newest technology for fine tuning, allowing basic research of the Sun’s disk and some surface details.
Note: Product's "suggested serving" shown, with Tele Vue Sol Searcher sun finder, Tele Vue Plossl eyepiece, and Sky-Watcher/Vixen style dovetail adapter. These items are not included in this package.
- Narrow Band Hydrogen-alpha (656.28nm) Dedicated System
- Internal Etalon with a NEW Pressure Tuner
- Provides <0.75 Angstrom bandpass, providing a perfect blend of edge and surface detail
- Aperture: 60mm (2.4")
- Focal length: 500mm (19.6")
- Focal ratio: f/8.3
- Optical format: Refractor
- Etalon type: Single Interference
- Tuning: Doppler True Pressure
- Bandpass: <0.075nm (<0.75 Angstroms) @ 656nm
- B600 blocking filter (built in to diagonal)
- Star diagonal: Accepts 1.25" eyepieces
- Focuser: Precision-machined dual-speed Crayford with 10:1 reducer
- Eyepieces: Sold separately
- Finderscope: Sold separately
- Machined Aluminum tube clamp, fits standard photo tripods via 1/4 20 tpi bolts
- Adaptable to Sky-Watcher/Vixen dovetail mounts (dovetail sold separately)
- Color: Pearl White and Black with Red accents
- Case: Included, Aluminum, die-cut foam
- Length: 36cm (14")
- Weight: 3.1kg (6.8lbs)
- Lunt Five Year Warranty