The NexStar Evolution - not just the next evolution of telescope, the logical evolution.
Wirelessly control the telescope using your smartphone or tablet (smart device) without having to buy extra hardware. The built-in Wi-Fi creates a short-range wireless area network which you can connect to with your smart device. If you don't have a smart device with you, you can resort to the included wired hand control, so you never have to worry about being able to use your telescope.
Control the NexStar Evolution using Celestron's new SkyPortal app for android and iOS smartphones and tablets. SkyPortal is your portal to the sky. The SkyPortal interactive sky map makes searching for objects fun and easy, using a simple drag and pinch-zoom interface to move about the night sky. Click on any position or object in the virtual sky, then click, and click on "Goto Object", and your telescope will synchronize to the same position in the real sky (assuming proper telescope alignment has been achieved beforehand). Visit the SkyPortal website for more information.
SkyAlign technology makes the initial telescope alignment easy. Aim the telescope to any three bright stars using the directional arrows on-screen or on the NexStar+ keypad, and the computer calculates and compares the angular separation of the three points to the database of bright objects.
The Celestron mobile astronomy app makes selecting objects to view easier than ever. An interactive graphical facsimile of the night sky is drawn on-screen. Move the map around, pinch-zoom in and out, and easily select objects and have the telescope synchronize its view to the same locations. Once an object is placed in the eyepiece, the telescope will keep the object in the eyepiece.
Celestron's legendary Schmidt-Cassegrain optics deliver sharp images with low spherical aberration. The waterwhite corrector lens coupled with XLT Starbright coatings greatly reduce reflections to increase light transmission and contrast.
The NexStar Evolution mount features a fresh new look. The robust metal mono-fork reduces weight (compared to dual forks) for increased portability. Dual-axis clutches have been added to allow for manual pointing with the power off. Dual-axis worm gears and improved motors drive the telescope smoothly and precisely, for tracking fit for astrophotography, with low backlash. Upgradeable to the Celestron Pro HD Wedge for long-exposure photography. Eyepiece holders on the mount are conveniently located for easy access, and are illuminated. Large ergonomic handles make for easy transporting and setup.
The tripod received attention as well, with etched markings to make leveling the tripod easier. The accessory tray has places to hold three additional 1.25" eyepieces and one 2" eyepiece.
The on-board rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers enough power for 10 hours of continuous observing. An on-board USB port allows for powering and recharging of smartphones and tablets - perfect for marathon observing sessions.
The NexStar Evolution is compatible with the StarSense autoalign accessory when used with the StarSense computerized hand control. The StarSense cannot be used while controlling the scope via the on-board wi-fi. However it is possible to use Southern Skies' Sky Safari app in conjunction with their own Sky-Fi wi-fi module connected to the StarSense controller's RS-232 port.
- Built-in Wi-Fi - control the telescope with smartphones and tablets
- Improved motor drives with worm gears for smooth, precise tracking
- Two ergonomic and convenient carry handles
- Built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery provides up to 10hrs of continuous use
- Built-in USB port to power and charge smart devices
- Engraved marks on legs for quick and uniform leveling
- Aperture: 150mm (6")
- Focal length: 1500mm (59")
- Focal ratio: f/10
- Optical design: Schmidt-Cassegrain
- Eyepieces: 40mm (38x) and 13mm (115x) (1.25")
- Finderscope: red dot finder
- 90° prism star diagonal (1.25")
- Mount: computerized single arm fork, altazimuth w/ dual axis manual clutches
- Motor drive: dual-axis worm gears
- Max slew speed: 4°/second
- Tracking rates: sidereal, solar and lunar
- Alignment procedures: SkyAlign, 3-Star Align, Solar System Align
- Communication ports: 1 hand control, 3 aux ports for optional accessories
- USB port: 1, for powering/charging smart devices
- NexStar database: over 40,000 objects including solar system objects
- App database: over 120,000 objects including 220 of the best deep sky and solar system objects
- Stainless steel adjustable height tripod
- Internal power supply: Built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery
- External power supply: 12v AC adapter, tip positive (included)
- Height of eyepiece at Zenith: 95cm - 150.5cm (37" - 59.25")
- Optical tube length: 34cm (13.4")
- Mount height: 46cm (18.1")
- Tripod length: 128.5cm (50.6")
- Optical tube weight: 3.25kg (10lbs)
- Mount weight: 6.75kg (14.8lbs)
- Tripod weight: 5.1kg (11.2lbs)
- Total weight: 15.1kg (33.2lbs)
- Two year limited warranty