Please call us at 613-723-1350 to reserve a telescope. Adding a rental to your cart does not create a reservation. Rentals are for pickup only from our retail store and are subject to availability.
Rental Telescope: Hesitant about buying a telescope? Not sure if astronomy is right for you? Rent this Celestron NexStar 8SE Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and enjoy the best show in the universe.
Deposit: $800.00 deposit required up-front, payable by credit card, interac or cash.
Note: Rentals are for in-store pickup only, and cannot be shipped. A signed rental agreement is required, which can be filled out in-store.
Rental includes a 25mm (80x) and 10mm (150x) eyepiece, a moon filter, red dot finderscope, 12v AC adapter, 12v car adapter and instruction manual.
Purchase Rebate: If you decide to purchase or order a telescope $200.00 or greater within three (3) month after returning the rental, we'll give you a purchase rebate equivalent to 50% of your rental cost before tax.
For example, if you rent this telescope for one week @ $120.00, we'll give you a $60.00 credit towards the purchase of a qualifying telescope.
Overcast protection: If the skies don't cooperate, we'll give you another same-duration rental period on a date that's compatible with you (subject to availability). We really want you to see cool astronomical objects, not clouds. If you decide to buy a scope instead of taking advantage of overcast protection, we'll waive 100% of the rental fee.
Due to the popularity of our rental program, we recommend reserving your rental well in advance.
Save time by downloading, reading, printing and filling out our rental agreement form. We do not currently offer online submission of the rental form. If you prefer, we can provide you with a form in-store.
- NexStar computer with nearly 40,000 object database, flash upgradeable
- Revolutionary SkyAlign for easy initial alignment - You don't need to know the names of the stars.
- Aperture: 200mm (8")
- Focal Length: 2000mm
- Focal Ratio: f/10
- Schmidt-Cassegrain design
- Starbright XLT coatings for maximum light transmission and clarity
- 25mm Plossl ocular, 1.25" format, 80x
- 10mm ocular, 1.25" format, 200x
- 2x Barlow lens, 1.25" format
- 1.25" star diagonal
- Red dot finderscope
- 15 kg (33 lbs) including telescope and tripod
Tips and Tricks
- If you encounter problems with the telescope, perform a factory reset:
- Turn the mount off, wait 5 seconds.
- Press the ZERO (0) button.
- With the ZERO button depressed, turn the mount on.
- Do not overtighten the tripod leg clamps.
- Level the top plate of the tripod. Use a torpedo level, or an app on your phone t assist. If you don't have a level, eyeball it as best you can.
- Ensure the finderscope is aligned with the telescope view, as per the instruction manual.
- The focus knob turns 42 complete turns. With such a large focus range, it's easy to become lost in focus.
- Aim the scope to a distant terrestrial view.
- Turn the focuser through the range until you get something in focus.
- Don't adjust it further until you go out at night.
- Using the finderscope, aim the telescope at a bright star.
- Adjust the focuser counterclockwise until the star becomes focused (small point).
- AA batteries have little capacity. The use of the AC adapter or car adapter to power the telescope is highly recommended.
- Use fresh alkaline batteries in the spring/summer/fall.
- Use fresh disposable Lithium batteries when temperatures drop below 10C.
- Do not mix battery brands and types.
- Ensure all batteries are installed with the correct polarity.
- Leaving batteries in the mount while using the AC adapter for car adapter can eventually cause the voltage of the adapter to be pulled below 12v, and can lead to battery overheating and/or rupture.
- Low voltage (<12v) can lead to erratic/errant behaviour of the mount.
- Be sure to remove your batteries before returning the rental.
- Please recycle used batteries to protect the environment.
- Always start with the lowest magnification (largest focal length) eyepiece, and work up to higher magnifications.
- Help is available after business hours by sending a message to us on Facebook.